In the article, “6 Quick Ways to Use Social Media for Branding,” the U.S. Small Business Administration addresses the value of consistent website custom business logo placement on social media networks (1). The article cautions business owners of the need for a unique business logo applied as a single avatar across all social network channels. No matter what social platform your customers view, you must present the same mental connection to your official business website.
In quick review, the article suggests that a website customer business logo should be crafted as follows:
- Identify your voice or the impression that your company seeks to convey and then design the company logo so that it reflects that voice.
- Let your logo reflect your company qualities. For example: The logo for a website that promotes luxury vacations should relay a sense of lavish comfort. However, a website that promotes health insurance needs a business logo that reflects professionalism and trust.
- Use high-quality, large pixel logos. Remember, many local business yellow page sites will download your logo for use in “free” promotions. Don’t let such a simple opportunity pass you by.
- Identify your social network real estate and then integrate your custom website business logo and background into the layout of the social design.
- Apply consistent and similar design and colors across all platforms. For successful messaging, your company logo must present cross-site consistency.
- Mix in unique content. Although your message is constant and your custom business logo remains unchanged from site to site, your content should reflect diversity. Avoid the temptation to pop identical content on each social site.
Create a Website Custom Business Logo Policy
The first words printed in the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Logo Policy specifies that the site logo may not be used on private sector materials (2). In fact, unauthorized use of the FDA Logo may violate federal law. Furthermore, the policy clearly defines the colors and layout of the FDA Logo. Thus there is no excuse for misuse of this legally copy-protected logo.
Write your business logo policy to the same effect, using the following guidelines:
Business to Business Logo Freedom – In designing your website custom business logo, you too must determine the flexibility of use. For example, the FDA presents a specific and written notification to contractors and consulting firms. There is no question as to when and how a contractor is permitted to affix the FDA logo to any document. Your website instructions should be just as detailed.
Private Sector Logo Freedom – This aspect of logo use applies to the private sector. Whereas the FDA prohibits any use of private sector logos on Government publications other than those within specified limitations, your options my be different. Will you permit non-profit organizations to affix your custom business logo to certain types of documents? Are business partners authorized to apply your custom website business logo to sales pages? Do you want to ensure that no external agency uses your company logo to imply your support or do you permit some measure of approved usage?
These decisions must direct the flow of your custom website business logo usage policy. And this is a part of the company logo design process. So think it through and make sure that you protect your custom designed business logo.
Register Your Custom Business Logo Copyright
According to Copyright Gov, Copyright protection is grounded in the laws of the U.S. Constitution (3). Designed to protect original works of authorship, U.S. Copyright laws cover both published and unpublished works. Included types of intellectual property covers original works in the following areas:
- Computer software
- And more.
However, Copyright does not include concepts such as methods of operation, ideas, facts or systems of process. A Copyright is not a patent or a trademark. Mere ownership of intellectual property does not assign the possessor the Copyright.
As a pictorial, graphic and sculptural work, logos are protected from the moment of creation into a fixed and tangible form. Copyright registration is voluntary. However, without registration, your rights during a lawsuit for infringement may be at risk. Go the extra mile. Register the work: $35.00 is the current registration fee and the process may be completed online.
For more help or more information on Website Custom Business Logo Design, click here.